Please review our list of Frequently Asked Questions below for answers to com

mon questions and concerns. If you do not find the answer to your question, please contact us at 800-844-0381.
1. I or someone I know is in crisis or suicidal:

The National HopeLine Network has trained counselors available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. 1-800-SUICIDE (784-2433)

2. If you or someone you know is a danger to themselves or others, please call 911.

Many law enforcement officers have been trained to respond to persons who may be experiencing a mental health related crisis.

3. My friend or family member is in jail due to his/her mental illness. How can we help?

Every person has a right to mental health treatment while in jail. Telling the sheriff, the jail nurse, the jail doctor, the lawyer and/or the judge that your friend or family member needs medicine and what types of medicine are being taken may get results more quickly.

For more information on legal issues, please see the “Resources” section of NAMI Arkansas’ website.

4. I cannot afford my medication/doctor’s fees. Where can I go for financial assistance?

NAMI Arkansas cannot provide direct financial assistance. As a nonprofit organization, NAMI’s work focuses on support, education and advocacy.

Partnership for Prescription Assistance:
1-888-4PPA-NOW (1-888-477-2669)
“The Partnership for Prescription Assistance helps qualifying patients without prescription drug coverage get the medicines they need for free or nearly free.”
Your community mental health care center may offer medication and mental health care services on a sliding scale basis. To learn more about your community mental health center in your area and the services that are available, you can contact your local mental health authority.

To find the proper mental health authority and their telephone number, please go to the following link:


For an overview of Arkansas’ public mental health system:


Some pharmaceutical companies offer prescription assistance programs for low income individuals and families. These programs typically require a doctor’s consent and proof of financial status. They may also require that you have either no health insurance, or no prescription drug benefit through your health insurance. View a list of pharmaceutical companies and their contact information.

5. Will this medication work better than the one I’m on? Is the combination of medications my doctor prescribed right? Is my dosage too high?

NAMI’s work focuses on support, education, and advocacy. We are not a medical facility nor are we qualified to give medical advice about treatment or medication. Please contact your pharmacist, doctor or mental health care professional for guidance on the correct treatment of your specific situation.

6. Where can I find a support group in my area?

NAMI Arkansas offers support groups and education programs that can assist a person living with mental illness and their friends/families, through their recovery process. The members involved in our Affiliates have been through similar experiences and know of resources in your area to help you cope with your or your family member’s illness.

7. My friend/family member won’t follow recommended treatment. What can I do to make them follow through?

In the United States, noncompliance is not a crime and therefore medication or therapy is not enforceable except in the case of minors, and those who are a danger to themselves or others.

Many NAMI Arkansas members found our education programs and support groups assisted them in resolving this issue.

8. My employer is not treating me fairly because I have a mental illness. What can I do to fight this?

The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) prohibits discrimination against people with disabilities in employment, state and local government activities, public accommodations, public transportation, telecommunications, and public services. It was signed into law by President George Bush on July 26, 1990. Find out more . . .

The DISABILITY RIGHTS CENTER (DRC) is a private non-profit agency with offices in Little Rock, Arkansas. Since 1977 the Governor of Arkansas has designated DRC the independent rights protection and advocacy system for persons with disabilities in Arkansas. DRC operates under authority outlined in Federal law and is funded primarily by the Federal government.